Q & A: The N-648 immigration psychological evaluation – part 1

immigration form n-648, medical certification for disability exceptions

Q & A: The Psychological Immigration Evaluation for

Q: What types of documents do I need to bring to my first appointment?
A: You need to have your state-issued photo ID or driver's license, or permanent
residency card (Green card) at the time of your appointment. This way, the evaluator
can verify your identity. It is also helpful if you can bring a list of all the medications you
are currently taking. Furthermore, please bring all the letters/notices you have received
from the immigration office (USCIS) regarding your case. It would be helpful to bring a
copy of the N-648 form that another clinician has completed in the past for our review.

Q: How many sessions does it take to complete the evaluation?
A: Depending on your psychological conditions, we should be able to conduct the
evaluation in one session, which is about an hour long.

Q: Do you offer (remote) appointments to do the evaluation?
A: Yes, the to complete the N-648 form can be
done in person or via telehealth.

Q: I don't live in California. Can you still help me with my case?

A: Our clinicians can conduct these evaluations for residents of 
California, Texas, Massachusetts, and Hawaii. So, if you reside in any of these states, you would be able to have your evaluation done via telehealth. A pdf format of your report will be emailed to you and you will also recieved a hard copy of the report via mail if you wish.

Q: Do I need to have a computer to be able to do the telehealth appointment?
A: Not really, but you do need to have a smartphone with a camera. This type of
immigration cannot be done just over the phone without the
evaluator being able to see you.

Q: I don't speak English at all. Do I need to bring a translator with me to the
A: Yes, you need to have someone, who is fluent in English and in your native language
present at the time of your immigration psychological evaluation to assist with the
translation. However, it is not required to have a certified translator present at the appointment and you can have a relative or friend to translate for you.

Q: I never went to school and can't read and write even in my native language. Do
I still need to submit the N-648 form and request to be medically exempted from
taking the citizenship?
A: Yes, I am afraid you need to. Being illiterate in your native language does not
necessarily mean that you have a medical or psychological condition that prevents you
from learning a new language (in this case, English) or U.S. history and civics.

Q: How long does it take to get my completed N-648 report?
A: We normally try to have your report ready within 2-3 weeks. In some cases that the
applicant has already had an interview scheduled with the immigration office ,or has
been given only 30 days to provide the immigration office (USCIS) with the N-648 form,
we will do our best to expedite your report and complete it in 7 days for an additional
charge. Due to the high volume of referrals we receive, it may take up to 2 weeks to
schedule your evaluation with one of our doctors, so please make sure to plan ahead.

Q: I have already submitted one report from another doctor and the immigration
officer didn't accept it and they asked me to get a second doctor's opinion. Is this
something that you can help me with?
A:Yes, we can. In this case, please make sure to bring a copy of the first report to your
appointment or if possible, email it to us prior to your appointment. In these types of
situations, the applicants usually have only 30 days to submit a second N-648 form to
the immigration office (USCIS.) We are mindful of these timely sensitive matters and
will do our best to schedule you as soon as possible and provide you with the
completed N-648 form. However, we need at least 14 days to be able to schedule your
appointment and ensure we have enough time to complete your report. As mentioned
before, there might be an additional fee to put a rush on your report, if needed.

Q: I went to my citizenship interview twice and both times the immigration officer
denied the N-648 that previous doctors had completed. Can I still apply for
A: Yes, you might. You have two chances to provide the USCIS a completed N-648
form and request to be medically exempted from taking the . If for any
reason the officer has denied your petition both times, you need to file a new citizenship
applicant( N-400 Naturalization application )and obtain a new N-648 form. That is why
it is very crucial to be evaluated by physicians who are experienced and specialized
in conducting these types of immigration evaluations so you don't have to take a risk of
getting denied.

Q: I have been seeing my family doctor for a long time. Can she/he complete the
N-648 form for me?
A: If they have prior experience in conducting these evaluations and had completed the
N-648 form before, yes they absolutely can. However, in our experience, most family
doctors are not specialized in doing immigration forms, which is technically a legal form.
We have seen many applicants coming to us after their first N-648 form was done
by their family physician was denied because it was not completed correctly according
the criteria and requirements that the USCIS has for these types of cases.

Table of Contents